So, I’m moving. Not physically moving, just moving on the internet, which thankfully doesn’t involve much heavy lifting. This little site has served me well for the past year or so, but I’ve upgraded.
You’ll now find me (and this blog) over at rachelqwest.com along with my illustration and writing & editing portfolios, a link to my shop, and lots of other awesome bells and whistles. It’s the full shebang over there, and I’m pretty excited about it. This blog won’t be updated anymore, but it will stay active for a little while before being permanently retired. Everything has been transferred, so you’ll find it all at my new site. So, please head over and take a look around the new site and blog. I hope you like what you see.
Ladies and gents, I may be absent for a short little while. I’m currently in the process of upgrading my blog to something fancier and way more awesome. I’ll be unveiling it in the near future, so stayed tuned!
In June, I mentioned my intention to paint something to fill the large void above the green chairs in the living room.
In the time between now and then, I narrowed down the size canvas the space needed: 48 x 36 inches. This size canvas was placed really high in the store and looked huge from my vantage point below, which made me worry that I couldn’t fit it in my car. But the painting bug had bit, so I purchased a mini canvas to paint the sketch I’d done in colored pencil, and I went home contemplating how I’d get the larger canvas home. To spare you the suspense, it turns out the canvas fit in the back seat of my car without any problems at all. It was a totally unnecessary mini-freakout.
My idea (a little of which I shared here) was to create something pixelated and full of happy color.
I used this mini canvas to give me an idea how a 48 x 36–inch version of it would look in the space.
These pictures look a little ridiculous, but they helped me realize that I don’t like my original plan. It just doesn’t feel quite right and the space would have way too many sharp right angles and squares going on. So, I’m back to the drawing board, literally.
This is the last view y’all had of the deck.
It still looks pretty much the same.
We’ve had a couple of very busy weekends traveling, then Tropical Storm Lee popped up and we were without power for several days. All that to say, we haven’t done much work around the house, but we did get around to ordering some outdoor furniture which should be arriving in the next couple weeks.
This is what we’ve got going on so far.
Rectangular wood table from Overstock…
…with these stackable chairs…
…and two side tables that can also be used as seating. We got one of each color: green (it looks more chartreuse in the picture but we’ll see when it arrives) and aqua. I’m loving these guys.
It’s a fun starting point I think. We still have plenty of other things on our outdoor to-do list.
• Finish sealing the deck
• Finish painting the exterior (This is an ongoing project this fall.)
• Replace the shed door
• Paint the doors Valspar’s Cut Ruby, which is a beautiful deep red
• Spray paint the wicker chairs a fun color
• Build a table to place next to the grill so we’ll have a place to stash plates and grill tools while things are cooking
I’ll be sure to show y’all the results once the furniture comes in. Until then, we’ll be tackling some of this to-do list.
Images courtesy of Overstock and Crate and Barrel.
The mirror in the bathroom has always bugged me a little. The screws and pieces holding it in the wall didn’t look great and didn’t look like they were doing a great job of keeping the mirror attached either.
Turns out I was right.
Let me back up. We’ve had this mirror sitting around for awhile. I purchased it when I lived in my first solo apartment, and then I used it in my condo.
It came with me when I moved to Ty’s house, and it sat in the master bedroom for awhile, and then it hung out in the office for a bit. It just never found a home.
Then I realized it would be much better suited to prettying up the bathroom instead of the mirror that came with the house. This one.
So, I took the existing mirror down, and I was right, it wasn’t attached very well. It came out quickly and very easily (too easily). I painted the area behind the mirror with some leftover paint we already had on hand, hung two 75-pound wall anchors (one on each side, which it a bit of overkill since the mirror weighs maybe 30 pounds), and hung the mirror. It was an easy project that took a couple hours, including paint-drying time. Here’s the improved after.
This simple change makes the bathroom feel bigger, a little less ho-hum, and more like a room rather than just a bathroom. The pictures don’t really do it justice—it’s hard photographing the narrow room and the light is definitely a little golden in the pictures (even with color-correcting), but I can assure you that it doesn’t look too Donald Trump-esque in there now as the pictures imply. It just looks better and makes me happier. It’s the little things.